EQUIPMENT TRACKING FOR UNPOWERED ASSETS
With the improvements in tracking technology coupled with falling prices for hardware and platforms, unpowered equipment Location and Tracking is back on the menu for many operators. Often this is just a deterrent for high rates of theft.
Some applications have power, but wiring in a device can often be impractical, costly, support intensive or just not convenient if the tracker is being moved between multipe pieces of equipment.
So what are the typical use cases?
- Yellow equipment
- Portable toilets
- Cradles, crates and industrial pallets
- Beer kegs
- Medical equipment (stretchers, beds, machines, wheel-chairs)
- Portable test equipment
SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE
Location and theft recovery are just 2 traditional requirements around tracking unpowered / powered assets. However, Digital Matter has mastered the art of Movement Based Tracking to provide the user a 3rd very useful fleet management / optimisation feature.
Capturing hours of use or distance travelled is essential for fleet maintenance. By using the accelerometer to detect movement, and then smart algorithms to ascertain the asset is on a trip and not just being moved around a yard, we can confidently record distance / duration often to within 99.5% accuracy.
Movement Based Tracking is an ideal tool for our Scheduled Maintenance module in UfindTelematics, allowing operators to accurately manage their service and inspection intervals on actual data rather than estimates which can adversely affect equipment warranties and business workflow.
KEY CHALLENGES WITH EQUIPMENT TRACKING
Ufind inovative battery powered trackers solve many of the traditional challenges around un-powered asset tracking such as:
- Achieving useful battery life
- Installation difficulties
- Accurate reporting
- Harsh environmental conditions
- Rough handling
Our unique techonology has addressed these challenges and provided the following:
- Alkaline batteries, low cost and offering accurate usage status for punctual low battery alerts as used in the C-2
- Lithium batteries providing extra energy in small packs like AA and AAA such as in the GALAXY
- Lithium-Thionyl-Chloride batteries (LTC) yielding 100% more energy than Alkaline and extreme temperature tolerance optional in the C-2
- All field-replaceable for user convenience, no unneccessary “return to vendor” battery replacement requirement
- The housings are professionally designed to achieve minimum footprint capability without compromising antenna performance
- Traditional structurally engineering principles applied to the mesh structure of the housing for maximum strength and tolerance
- UV protected polycarbonate case with multiple fastening options for screws, bolts, cable ties, or rivets
- Compact form factor to easily fit within the confines of available space on the equipment
- IP67 rating ensures the devices can withstand fine dust, high pressure spray, submersion for 30 mins in 1 metre of water, and abnormal temps
- Exponentially configurable device parameters such as Jostle Mode support a wide spectrum of applications to optimise reporting
- Intuitive firmware libraries anticipate and eradicate many of the known challenges around asset tracking
- Low Noise Amplifiers filter out the noise to enhance reporting accuracy even when tracker does not face the sky
- Smart Power Management settings with Offline GPS Assist ensure quick “wake-up” and GPS fixes extending battery life
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT TRACKERS
- C-2 (with optional LTC batteries and Anti-Tamper feature
- M62 (for powered solutions)
- C-2 D (2 x D-cell LTC batteries)
- M-1 (3 x AAA Lithium batteries)