The Matrix-2 is a compact cellular 2G or 4G Cat-M1/NB-IoT tracking device with a variety of inputs and outputs to cater for entry-level tracking applications, without sacrificing tracking, communications performance or reliability. Its compact housing contains the GPS and cellular antennas, and the 12-wire connector means that all of the Matrix-2 functionality can be easily accessed – and makes installation a breeze.
The internal backup battery provides alerts and tracking operations even when external power is removed. The 3D accelerometer and flash memory round out a product that is low cost but still packs a punch. The Dart can simultaneously use GPS and GLONASS satellites, providing double the number of positioning satellites than standard tracking products. The result is faster acquisition and more accurate and reliable tracking.Affordable and reliable, with excellent performance
- Affordable and reliable, with excellent performance
- Compact 2G or 4G Cat-M1/NB-IoT
- Concurrent GPS and GLONASS tracking, with amplified signals
- Easy install & easy to conceal
- Variety of inputs and outputs
The housing clips together to make provisioning devices simple and efficient.
Dimensions: 95mm x 55mm x 17mm
Weight: 150 grams
A standard 12 wire harness is supplied with the Matrix-2 (Power, Ground, Ignition, 2 x Digital Inputs, 1 x switched output, Driver ID, I-Button)
We have an option for an OBDII (power only) or ‘cigarette lighter’ harness
See the user manual for further harness details
8V to 36V DC (max)
25-50mA average (when tracking)
145mA average (battery charging)
The Matrix- 2 passes stringent automotive power “load dump” tests to ensure that it will continue to operate in the harshest electrical systems. A built-in self-resetting fuse makes installation easy and safe.
On External Power
-20°C to +60°C
Below 0°C the standard internal backup battery’s ability to deliver sufficient power to operate the cellular modem is reduced. Below 0°C and above +45°C the internal backup battery will not be charged as a safety precaution due to dangers associated with charging batteries at extreme temperatures.
Concurrent GPS and GLONASS Tracking
- Concurrent GPS and GLONASS tracking
- 72 channel high sensitivity receiver
- -169dBm industry leading tracking performance
- Battery backed up for optimal hot-start performance
- AssistNow Offline aiding data for extremely fast time-to-first-fix and performance in urban canyon environments
Low Noise GPS Amplifier (LNA)
The Matrix- 2’s GPS signals are boosted by a special low-noise amplifier (LNA). This allows the Matrix- 2 to operate where normal units will fail to receive GPS signal.
Even when designing a low-cost device Ufind is not prepared to compromise on the performance of the product. You will see the difference if you compare device performance in low signal environments.
2G, or 4G
The Matrix- 2 can be manufactured for specific markets around the world with cellular modem modules approved by all the major networks.
uBlox SARA-R410M modem operates on all major global LTE-Cat-M1 and NB-IoT bands. These new low-power networks are specifically designed for IoT applications, providing great battery life.
Supported LTE Bands:
1-5, 6, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28
Internal GPS and cellular antennas.
Having the antennas inside the housing makes for very simple and quick installation. The Matrix- 2 has had its antennae tuned by the top laboratories to ensure optimal performance.
The 200mAh LiPo backup battery allows the Matrix-2 to continue to operate when external power is removed, allowing for power removal alerts to be sent, and tracking to continue for a period of time without external power.
3 x Digital Inputs
1 x Ignition line
2 x digital inputs with configurable pull-up / pull-down
Numerous configuration options including switches, duress/panic alerts, pulse counting and other applications
1 x Digital Output
1 x switched ground digital output, easily wired up to switch external lights, relays, buzzers, sirens, motors and other devices. The output can be used to immobilise a vehicle.
3 Axis Accelerometer
The 3 axis accelerometer allows the Matrix- 2 to detect harsh driving events (harsh acceleration, braking and cornering) and this information can be used to monitor driver behaviour and unsafe driving. It also allows the Matrix-2 to go to ‘sleep’ when not moving, resulting in extremely low standby current.
The TTL serial interface allows the Matrix- 2 to interface with external devices and peripherals, including a low-cost RFID tag reader for driver identification.
Switched Power Out
The Matrix- 2 can provide power to external sensors and devices via this power line, allowing for easy installation and doing away with the need for additional external power supplies.
Voltage: 3.5v to 4.5v
Maximum current: 200mA
The Matrix- 2 has sufficient memory to store over 50,000 records in its flash memory. Normally the data will be sent to the server immediately but if the device is out of range then there is sufficient space to ensure that no data is lost – for many weeks of driving!
The flash memory is also used to store parameters, GPS aiding data, accident data, driver lists, geo-fences and other important information that needs to be securely stored.
One year manufacturer’s warranty
Dart RFID Driver ID Reader
Compact 125kHZ RFID Reader reads cards and keyfobs
- 5cm typical read range (can read through plastic / dashboard)
- Includes a LED and buzzer for reminding drivers to swipe their card
- Plugs into the Molex connector on the Dart harness
- Compatible with the EM4001 RFID standard
- Optional 125kHz HID reader option
- Keyfobs available
Auto-APN allows the Matrix- 2 to analyse the SIM card and select the correct APN details from a list that is pre-loaded in the device’s firmware. This means that the device can be shipped world-wide without requiring specialist setup for SIMs.
Text Message Setup
The Matrix-2 can also be sent text messages to setup the APN, server and other details.
The Matrix- 2 will track successfully where other devices just give up.
This fantastic technology allows the GPS to predict which satellites are in orbit above it and to dramatically reduce the time-to-first-fix of the GPS, and the overall performance of the GPS, especially in ‘urban canyon’ or forested environments.
Flexible Logging Parameters
The Matrix- 2 trip logging is flexible and can be configured to log based on a variety of parameters including:
- Elapsed time
- Distance travelled
- Change in heading
- Change in speed
- When stationary
- Accelerometer events (harsh driving)
Accident and Rollover Detection
The Matrix- 2 uses the built-in accelerometer to detect high G impacts such as accidents and rollovers and reports these events to the server for emergency alerting.
The Matrix- 2 automatically calibrates its built-in 3 axis accelerometer and uses this to detect harsh driving events:
- Excessive acceleration
- Harsh braking
- Cornering at speed
These events are logged along with additional event statistics that allow back-end server platforms to perform sophisticated driver profiling and scoring.
The Matrix- 2 keeps a second-by-second “black box” recording of valuable GPS and accelerometer data for a two hour window. This data can be automatically uploaded to the server when an accident is detected, or it can be requested manually.
The Matrix- 2 supports a low-cost external RFID reader to read cards and keyfobs in order to identify drivers.
The matrix-2 can be updated from the server with lists of Drivers that are allowed to drive the vehicle that it is installed in. When a driver or operator registers on the Matrix-2 it will check the Driver List to see if that person is authorised to drive the vehicle. The list also includes information about the driver such as whether they can perform supervisor functions.
The Matrix- 2 can be installed to immobilise a vehicle and only allow authorised drivers / operators to drive it, or to annoy an unauthorised driver with a loud buzzer.
The Matrix -2 has the capacity to hold hundreds of geo-fences that can be downloaded to it from the server. A future firmware update will allow the device to use this geo-fence information to:
- Implement arrival and departure alerts
- Implement speeding zones with audible warning alerts
- Implement “No-go” and “Keep-out” areas
- Automatically control outputs, for example to switch on warning lights when inside a special area
- Warn drivers when approaching dangerous intersections
- Disable data communications within intrinsically safe areas
This setting allows the Matrix- 2 to determine that a trip has started based on accelerometer and GPS data and to automatically set the ‘ignition’ input on the device to emulate the ignition line.
This means that the device can be installed with the option of not wiring in the ignition line and ‘emulating’ the ignition based on movement.
This setting allows the Matrix- 2 to monitor the system voltage and to detect changes in the voltage that indicate if the engine is running or not.
Get all the latest documents and support information on our online knowledge base.
DEVICE MANAGEMENT – OEM SERVER
All Ufind devices are fully managed Over-The-Air (OTA) via our OEM Server web interface. The OEM Server seamlessly manages:
- Device firmware – firmware updates can be done remotely
- Network (administrator) parameters relating to critical communications
- System parameters, including GPS parameters, IO configuration, logging options and general device behaviour settings
- GPS AssistNow Offline aiding data files
- Remote debugging of devices, including being able to trace data, view detailed debug message logs, and view a live trace of the server debug messages
- Remote disconnect and reboot of devices
- Driver list downloads to devices – this allows for the Driver Identification on the device to check if the RFID tag / username / PIN is valid, and for specific drivers to be allowed to drive / operate particular vehicles, for example based on licences or permits.
- Geo-fence syncing with the devices – this allows the device to do advanced in-cab alerting and monitoring such as geo-fence arrival and departure, speed limit alerting, dangerous intersection warnings, turn on warning lights inside a geo-fence, and disable communications inside intrinsically safe zones such as gas plants.
- Provides a command and message queueing platform to the devices and is incorporated into the remote management and debugging applications